Director of Marketing, Communications & Outreach
TIFT (Talk Is Free Theatre) is based in Barrie, Ontario, a smaller city of 160,000 residents located in the centre of Simcoe County. We are Central Ontario’s only professional Equity company with a full winter season. Our mission, both in our home seasons and with our touring endeavours, is to produce cutting edge theatre works, such as are typically only presented in major urban centres, and connect them with new non-urban audiences.
We produce a wide range of work from the periphery of mainstream, concentrating on new writing, forgotten classics and drastic re-examinations of established repertoire. We gravitate toward material that challenges the norm and the tolerance of a regular theatre patron and that offers a well contextualized adventure in a diverse and eclectic subscription season. Whether a musical, a new play or a new approach to works from the existing canon, we are interested in projects that impact and revolutionize the aesthetics they represent. We program plays and musicals from the periphery because we find them to be the most vital attempts in realizing unique artistic voices, new themes and original forms.
Our central programming priority, and by extension the main contribution to the Canadian theatre ecology, is the development and production of new and experimental works of musical theatre. Our productions of musicals such as Assassins, Scenes from the Bathhouse and Floyd Collins are good representations of the sharp subject matter, unique artistic language and stylistic complexities of non-mainstream musical theatre.
Operating since 2003, our atypical programming has been fully embraced and supported by local audiences, philanthropists and the broader Barrie and Simcoe County community as we are serving a larger local need – helping our area to evolve as an important and unique cultural centre. This, of course, has a broad impact. A strong theatre and arts community in Barrie provides economic and social benefits to the city and surrounding communities.
As the cost of real estate in major urban centres continues to skyrocket, and for a number of other reasons, there is a growing new population of people who might have typically chosen to live in the ‘big city,’ choosing to make smaller cities their home. Barrie is working to attract an influx of people seeking here what they would expect in a larger centre – both patrons seeking exciting and innovative theatre to attend, and professional artists looking to make a career and an impact in Canadian theatre in a community where they can also afford to buy a home.
We also produce Barrie International Comedy Festival events, tour nationally and internationally, work with local youth and help develop local professional artists.
Talk Is Free Theatre (TIFT) is looking for an experienced and outgoing Marketing, Communications and Outreach Manager who is comfortable with teamwork and self-directed projects in a small office atmosphere. The interested individual should have a firm understanding of brand management, advertising, publicity, and marketing through e-communications, print, and social media. Experience in graphic design is an asset. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to professional theatre which is innovative, risk embracing and pushes the boundaries. Knowledge of the Canadian theatre community and experience with performing arts at a local level are major assets.
- Maintain and evolve the brand identity of TIFT through design, public relations, marketing and outreach initiatives
- Design or, as required, oversee the design of printed and digital promotional materials for TIFT including advertisements, brochures, postcards, posters, tickets, program books and press releases and manage their timely production
- Arrange print and digital communication including mail-outs to existing client base and broader community as required
- Create and update company performance listings
- Manage website content for TIFT and for social media including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Edit video for online promotional use and post onto standard channels
- Monitor expenses and in-kind sources to ensure cost effective marketing strategies
PR and communications responsibilities
- Draft and distribute press releases
- Work with local and broader media to develop engaging and captivating editorial coverage
- Compile, edit and proof all external communications, such as letters to supporters
- Produce arts education promotional materials for schools and distribute to encourage participation in student matinees and various outreach programs
- Create Study Guides
- Produce monthly newsletters for supporters and communications for general audience
- Schedule and design e-blasts, according to a schedule
- Develop and update Case for Support
- Coordinate supporter relationships
- Assist with the planning of fundraising events
- Other appropriate tasks
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in arts administration or relevant discipline
- At least two years’ experience in a similar position, ideally in a not-for-profit environment, and a strong desire to develop arts administration skills
- Knowledge of CS6, (PC platform) specifically Adobe Photoshop & In-Design; Premier Pro video editing experience an asset.
- Experience with Mail Chimp
- Experience with WordPress
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel)
- Knowledge of and comfort with specifying jobs for printers
- Box office experience and familiarity with ticketing considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly organized work ethic with the ability to multi-task and to originate and complete self-directed tasks
- Comfortable working cooperatively in a small office atmosphere to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions to enhance organizational effectiveness
This is a part-time position at 2 days a week, commencing on June 4, 2018.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume no later than May 18, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those that apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
(705) 792-1949 ext. 122